Updated: 6 June 2022
There’s nothing quite as personal as adding a personal message to an anniversary, Christmas or new home card. But finding the perfect words isn’t always easy. Need some help with what to write in a greeting card? You’ve come to the right place. We’ve covered every occasion from birthdays to weddings to help you write the best card messages.
What to Write in a Birthday Card
Card shops leaving you uninspired? Deciding what to write in a birthday card will depend on who you’re sending it to – is it your best mate who you go out with on the weekends or your elderly relative who likes to keep cards as keepsakes? Here are a few messages to suit different possible recipients.
Funny Birthday Card Messages
There’s nothing wrong with poking a little fun at a friend. Here are a couple of short and sweet ideas of what to write in a birthday card to get you inspired.
- Congratulations! You’re half way to [Double Their Age, e.g. if they’re 30, put 60]
- I made you a birthday cake to celebrate, but I couldn’t light the candles. It turns out the fire department requires a permit for bonfires.
- Happy Birthday, Old Friend
Sentimental Birthday Card Messages
For a family member’s special day, you need to write an extra special message to celebrate. Here are a couple of short and long examples to help you out.
- Hope your special day brings you all that your heart desires! Here’s wishing you a day full of pleasant surprises! Happy birthday!
- Thinking of you on this very special day, Happy Birthday
- Birthdays come around once a year, but friends like you are once in a lifetime
What to Write in a Christmas Card
Sending personalised Christmas cards this year? You’ll need an extra festive message for it.
- Wishing you peace, love and joy this Christmas
- I hope your Christmas is full of laughter, happiness and eggnog
- Thanks for a great year! I hope you have a merry Christmas and a happy New Year
- As the year ends, I’m reminded of how much your friendship has meant to me this past year. Thank you so much for being a great friend.
- I don’t usually write Christmas cards, but when I do, I usually write the same thing in all of them.
- Ho Ho Hope you’ve been good this year. Merry Christmas!
What to Write in a Thank You Card
Varying what you write in a greetings card will give it a real personal touch. This can be to give special thanks to a colleague or teacher, for a present or even just a note to a friend.
- You’re the best!
- Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your thoughtful present
- You have no idea how much your help and support means to me
- Thanks for feeding the cat while we were away
- Thank you for your invaluable mentoring these past three months. Seeing how you work has been an invaluable experience and I’m grateful to have had the chance to work with you so closely.
What to Write in a Wedding Card
Weddings are such a special time and a card is a perfect way to congratulate the happy couple. Your messages are likely to be saved and cherished, so it’s important to create something heart-warming. Here are a few examples.
- Wishing you a lifetime of happiness
- Best wishes on your wonderful new journey together
- Thank you for letting us share such a special day with you
- Thanks for the free booze! Best wishes on a long and happy marriage
- Congrats and welcome to the family
What to Write in an Anniversary Card
Whether they’re celebrating one, two, or 70 years – an anniversary is a special time for any couple. Writing a beautiful anniversary card is the perfect way to show them just how much you care.
- Congratulations on [insert number of years] happy years together. Here’s to many more!
- To my favourite couple – congratulations on your special day
- Here’s to another year of being amazing together – happy anniversary!
What to Write in a New Home Card
Moving into a new home is a wonderful experience. Whether it’s a first house or a big family move – help them settle in with a gorgeous new home card. Unsure what to say? Here are some ideas.
- Wishing you love, happiness, and joy in your new home
- Congratulations on your new place – stick the kettle on, we’ll be there in 5
- Here’s to your new home sweet home
- Wishing you a life of happiness in your new home
What to Write in a New Baby Card
Want to send a congratulations card to the parents of a new baby? Here are some great messages to welcome this new bundle of joy into the world.
- Welcome to the world! So glad that you’re finally here
- Congratulations on your beautiful new baby
- Congratulations! You’re going to be amazing parents
What to Write in a Get Well Card
Get well cards hold great power – one bright and cheery message can really make a difference to someone facing health difficulties. Depending on the person and the severity of their illness, here are a couple of examples you could use.
- Wishing you a speedy recovery and all our best wishes
- You are in our thoughts today and always
- Sending healthy vibes your way!
- May you be up to old tricks in no time at all
- You’re one tough cookie!
What to Write in a Mother’s Day Card
Writing a verse for a mum or someone who’s a maternal figure for Mother’s Day helps show how much you care. Check out these sweet examples of messages for all those relationships.
- I’m so lucky to have you as a mum… but not as lucky as you are for having me as a child!
- If I could choose my mum again, I’d definitely still choose you! Happy Mother’s Day
- You do so much for me every day. So this Mother’s Day, put your feet up, sit back and relax, and let me treat you!
- You may not have given me life, but you’re a huge part of mine. Thank you for being you!
- The greatest mums are promoted to become the best grandmas! Happy Mother’s Day!
What to Write in a Sympathy Card
Sending your sympathies is never easy. With worries of saying the wrong thing, we forget that a card shows that we’re there for the person in their time of grief and that they aren’t alone. Here are some heartfelt messages to show them just how much you care.
- I’m so sorry for your loss
- With deepest sympathy as you remember [Name of person being grieved]
- Your son touched the lives of so many people. I’m glad I had the chance to know him as a friend.
Tip: For these cards, it might be easier to recall a memory or anecdote, for example: “I’ll always remember when John took us all out for ice cream on holiday – such cherished memories.”
What to Write in a Valentine’s Day Card
Should you go soppy and sweet or funny? That’s the ultimate question when writing a Valentine’s Day card. Here are a few examples of different styles so you can pick the best one for your sweetheart.
- Happy Valentine’s Day to Someone Special
- All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn’t hurt.
- Sometimes I wonder how you put up with me… But then I remember I have to put up with you so we’re even!
- Sending Valentine’s Day wishes that are as sweet as you!
- To the love of my life, Happy Valentine’s Day. Here’s to many more!
How to Write a Greeting Card for New Year
If you're planning on sending a new year message in a card to loved ones, here are a few messages you could try out.
- A toast to you and yours this new year
- Wishing you all the best in the year ahead
- Here's to a year of health and happiness - cheers!
- Let's keep making memories. Happy new year!
- Cheers to another year of us
- May your problems last as long as your resolutions
What to Write in an Eid Greeting Card
Sending greetings cards is a great way to celebrate Eid with friends and family. Here are some messages to inspire your Eid greetings cards.
- May Allah's blessings be with you all. Eid Mubarak!
- May Allah forgive your sins and ease your suffering
- Sending you warm thoughts and wishes on the occasion of Eid
- On this special day, I pray to Allah for your happiness and good health. Eid Mubarak!
- With the arrival of Eid, let's say goodbye to another amazing year and welcome a new time of opportunities knocking on our door. Eid Mubarak!
How to Write a Greeting Card for a Teacher
To say thank you at the end of the school year, your child may wish to handwrite a card for their teacher. Here are some messages to show appreciation.
- I always looked forward to your class. Thank you for being a great teacher.
- [Subject] is my favourite class and it's all because of you. Thank you!
- Thank you for teaching me this year. I'll never forget you!
Writing a card to teacher as a parent
Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your work this year. We’ve noticed a real improvement in our child's learning, and we’re so appreciative for the effort you put in.
You made getting up for school a lot easier this year as they've been so excited for your lessons! A huge thank you for all the effort you've put in with [child]
You're a truly fantastic teacher and we appreciate the fact you go above and beyond for the kids in your class.
[Child] raves about your lessons and its no wonder why. Your enthusiasm and energy are second to none and you've made a huge difference to our child's learning this year. A heartfelt thank you for all your effort.
Need More Inspiration?
Now you’ve found the perfect messages for your greetings cards, Christmas cards, new home cards and more, it’s time to get designing your own. Our free templates allow you to start a design from scratch using our online design tool. Looking for more card ideas? Here are 4 ways to get the most out of your greetings cards.
Need further guidance on what to write in a birthday card or want some help regarding our products? Contact us here and a member of our friendly team will be on hand to answer any questions you may have.