How to Make a Poster
The first step in making your own awesome poster is setting up your artwork file. Did you know that you can create your own poster using one of the many popular programs, such as Word or PowerPoint? Or if you dabble in more complex design programs, why not create yours in Photoshop or Publisher? However you create your masterpiece, here are some of our top tips on getting set up.
PowerPoint – If you’re a budding designer, PowerPoint is a great tool to get you going. Set up your blank canvas by opening a new presentation, going to design > slide size > custom slide size and enter the width and height of your required poster size.
Word – If you’re looking for another quick and easy way to create your artwork, Word is another good tool for beginners. Simply open up a new document, head to layout > page setup, increase all your margins by 3mm (this is the safety zone), choose your poster size and add 6mm to the height and width to allow for the bleed.
Click here to check out the in-depth guide on everything you need to know about creating personalised posters on PowerPoint and Word, and to find out more around how you begin designing your artwork on Photoshop and Publisher.
What If I Don’t Have a Poster Design?
No design? No problem! We’ve created a handy library which is full of poster templates! Whether you’re looking for an A1 poster size, A2 poster size or an A4 poster size, we have the ideal blank canvas for you. Need some inspiration? Our expert design team have created some fantastic poster design templates to get you started. So no matter whether you’re organising a bake sale, showing off your new coffee shop menu or advertising a student night at your bar, you can make your own posters online in no time.
What Stock Is Best?
We offer digital online poster printing on both indoor and outdoor stock options, so whether you’re wanting to display your advertisement or artwork, we have the perfect solution for you. Here’s a quick rundown of our stocks, and tips on picking the right one for your poster designs.
- 170gsm value silk – a thin and affordable option that’s best used for temporary posters. Have a concert or event coming up that you want to shout about? Poster printing on value silk is ideal if you’re looking for affordable but high quality posters.
- 250gsm classic silk – a sturdier stock with a high quality look and feel. Looking to show your customers new seasonal menu options in your restaurant or special treatments on offer in your salon? The classic silk option will work wonders for your custom posters.
- Waterproof PVC – at 220mic, this thin weatherproof option is ideal for outdoor A-frames. If you’re advertising an exclusive offer and need an outdoor sign, your A2 poster, A1 poster and A0 posters will look high quality and withstand the British weather, all while keeping costs down.
- Heavyweight waterproof PVC – outdoor signs or long-life posters are the best use for this 400mic PVC option. Get all of your permanent posters printed on this stock if you’re wanting to make an impression for a longer period of time.
We offer special laminate finishes on our classic silk stock. These add extra protection to your advertisement poster and give it a special look or feel. Choose from:
- Matt – a smooth, no-shine finish that softens the colours
- Gloss – a visible high-shine finish that brightens the colours
How to Design a Poster
Once you’ve set your file up correctly, the real fun begins! Designing a poster isn’t always black and white – there are a wealth of things to think about when deciding where to start. Here are some tips on what makes an inspiring and memorable poster design:
· Use bright, eye-catching colours
· Make sure you can read the main message from a distance
Play around with fonts
How To Choose The Perfect Frame
Got space in or outside your store? Why not try an A-frame? There are so many to choose from such as the A0 frame, A1, A2, 20 x 30 poster frame and more! An A-frame is the ideal way to show off your large posters from two sides at once to get maximum exposure. When you order this product you’ll receive two poster prints and an aluminium frame to display them in.
Find out more here.
How To Choose The Right Size
The size you choose will depend on what, where and when you’re thinking of displaying your message. If you need to include more information, the bigger the better, but remember – you’ll need to ensure potential customers can read the main message from a distance to help draw them in. Here are the poster sizes we offer: