Updated: 6 June 2022
One of the most exciting aspects of ordering posters online is the moment they’re delivered. But when they’ve been rolled up in a tube, laying them flat can become a bit of a challenge. To get your poster ready for framing, you must straighten it correctly. Here’s how to flatten a poster to avoid creases and wrinkles.
Method 1: Roll the Poster Back on Itself
- Pull the cap off the top of the tube
- Remove your poster from the tube by tipping it until it slides partly out. Do not try and pinch or pull it out from inside the tube as this can cause wrinkles and creases
- Straighten the poster out on a clean, flat surface so that it’s design down
- Carefully roll the poster around the outside of the tube, the opposite way to which it has previously been rolled
- Secure with a sticker or rubber bands
- Leave this for an hour
- Remove sticker or rubber bands and unroll to reveal a flat poster ready for framing
Method 2: Weigh the Poster Down
- Repeat steps 1 & 2 from method 1
- Roll out and straighten the poster on a clean, flat and hard surface (like a table)
- Place something heavy on each corner and in the middle to weigh it down. Books work particularly well
- Leave this for 24 hours
- Remove weights to reveal a flat poster ready for framing
How to Flatten a Rolled Poster and Remove Wrinkles
There are a few ways you can fix wrinkled posters. Here’s what we suggest.
- Roll the poster out onto a flat surface, such as a table. Make sure you straighten it face down with the blank side facing upwards
- Place a bed sheet or towel over the poster
- Lightly spray the sheet or towel with water until it is slightly damp, not wet
- Using the lowest heat setting on your iron, iron the poster through the sheet*
- Run the iron over one small area of the fabric at a time until it is dry
- Lift the fabric every so often to check for any heat damage on the poster
- Repeat the process if wrinkles remain
*Please note: this may cause a slight change to the colours of the ink. instantprint does not accept responsibility or liability for any damage that might be caused.
These methods are perfect for removing any curling that may happen so that your posters are ready for framing or hanging in no time at all. We’ll always roll from the long side of the poster, meaning it’s easier to straighten when it arrives.
These methods are perfect for removing any curling that may happen so that your posters are ready to frame or hang in no time at all. We’ll always roll from the long side of the poster meaning it’s easier to flatten when it arrives. Here’s some extra inspiration so you can place your posters effectively.
Whether you need your poster for business or simply want to decorate your home, instantprint is here to help. Our print and design inspiration hub offers advice to help you get the most from our products. Browse our selection of exciting ideas and find the advice that resonates with you.
If you’re still questioning how to flatten a poster or need some further guidance, our friendly team are on hand to help. Contact us online, by email or by phone and we will do all we can to advise and put your mind at ease.