Here at instantprint, we want you to get the most out of your print – including knowing how to set up your folded leaflet artwork for perfectly printed flyers and leaflets every time!
Making sure your folds are correct, that text won’t be cut off in the crease and that the bleed and that safe areas are correct are all really important steps to setting up your folded leaflets. Here, we’ll guide you through all of the different fold types we offer and how to set artwork up for your own flyers.
Folded Leaflet Sizes
When you order folded leaflets, it’s important to remember that you’re ordering the flat size – not the folded size. For example, an A4 folded leaflet will be smaller once it’s folded. Keep this in mind when you’re creating your design.
The layout of your design will depend on the style of fold you choose. Your panels should be in the right order depending on the fold to make sure they’re printed in the order the user would view them in.
The following diagrams show how to visualise your artwork up for each type of fold.
A C-fold leaflet has 6 sections size (3 on one side and 3 on the other). First, the right panel will fold over the middle panel, then the left will also fold into the middle to make the folded leaflet. Having an image of how this works in your mind will help you when designing each panel.
*Although the front panel of the C-fold leaflet is slightly wider than the rest, please design all panels at equal size and our Studio team will fix it before it goes to print.
Like the name suggests, this fold resembles the letter Z. There are 6 equally sized panels (3 on one side and 3 on the other). The left panel is folded across the front middle panel, whereas the right panel is folded across the back-middle panel, as pictured below.
This style of leaflet folds like a greetings card, directly down the middle. There are 4 equally sized panels you can design for this type of leaflet – 2 on the front and 2 on the back.
How to Set Your Folded Leaflet Artwork Up for Print
We can accept a 1up file, but to avoid possible corruption or artwork problems, we’d recommend setting up all the pages as portrait, preferably with a page for each side of the leaflet made up of the different panels.
Your artwork should be set up to include:
- 300dpi images
- full CMYK colour (no RGB)
- 3mm bleed area
- 3mm safety zone within the trim line
You file should be:
- a single PDF document with spread pages – one for each side of the opened-out leaflet
- smaller than 200MB
You can send artwork to us via WeTransfer and Drop Box, and our Studio team will create a proof for your approval.
- Once you’ve uploaded your artwork, we’ll send you a proof via email to check that the fold guides match your artwork and show you where the front and back covers will be. You’ll need to check that you’ve set your artwork up to match the correct folded product.
- Remember that text and images running across a fold may be lost in the crease.
- Always include a 3mm bleed area and 3mm safety zone. If you’re not sure about these, check out our setup guides.
- Depending on the type of fold you’ve ordered, the finished product will open differently. Make sure you match your artwork to the way the user will open and view it.
- Make sure to check your online proof by zooming in by 300% to accurately reflect image resolution of the printed product.